Lord Honey, every adult dinner party needs a tipsy dessert, and I've got just the ticket with a li'l kick of tequila. I've prepared this dessert on stage, and it's even been featured in a lifestyle magazine. Trust me when I tell y'all this one will impress your guests and add just the right zest to any event.
Fried Tequila Bites
Chef Jason Smith
1 store-bought angel food cake
¾ cup tequila
1 egg white
Juice from one lime
Oil for frying
1 stick butter
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ cup tequila
Pinch of salt
1 cup powdered sugar
2 limes, zested
· Cut angel food cake into 1-inch cubes, set aside.
· Place oil into a heavy stock pot--about 1/3 full, place over medium heat.
· In a mixing bowl, place the tequila, egg white and lime juice, whisk together.
· Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
· Quickly and lightly dip the cake cubes into tequila mixture, place in hot oil (350 degrees)
· Fry until golden brown, place on paper towel to rest.
· To make the caramel, place the butter and brown sugar on a saucepan, bring to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes, take off the heat and add the cream and tequila; stir and place back on heat, cook for 2-3 minutes.
· Place the fried cake into shot glasses or on platter, drizzle with caramel sauce, sprinkle with powdered sugar, garnish with lime zest.
Tip: If you don’t have time to make the caramel sauce, an easy fast way is to buy your favorite caramel sauce and stir in 1-2 tablespoons tequila.