Lord Honey, my "Holiday Slice & Bake Cookies" are the perfect li'l treats to have on hand for all the little ones or even Ol' Saint Nick himself during the holiday season. Y'all can also enjoy these li'l gems throughout the year, for all your special days and celebrations. Just add your favorite nuts, chips and dried fruit to the batter, and sprinkle with whatever sprinkles tickle your fancy.
Holiday Slice & Bake Cookies
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
Makes 48 Cookies
1-cup butter, room temp
1/3-cup brown sugar
½-cup white sugar
2¼-cup all-purpose flour
½-cup white chocolate chips
½-cup dried cranberries, chopped
Zest from half an orange
1-cup white coating chocolate, for decorations
· In a large mixing bowl, add butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the ingredients until pale and fluffy.
· Continue to mix and add in the vanilla and salt, followed by the flour.
· After mixing in the flour, use a rubber spatula and continue to mix the dough by hand to ensure all the flour is incorporated.
· Fold in the chocolate chips, cranberries, and orange zest.
· Divide the dough into 2 balls.
· Lay out two sheets of plastic wrap and place each dough ball in the center of the sheets. Form each piece of dough into a log that’s about 8-9 inches long.
· Tightly wrap the logs in the plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
· Preheat the oven to 350°, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Once the oven is preheated, slice the cookies about one-inch thick, and place on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
· Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges are a very pale, golden brown.
· Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and bake the rest of the dough.
· Once cooled, place the coating chocolate into a microwave-proof bowl and melt in microwave for 30 seconds at a time, until all is melted and smooth.
· Dunk one-half of each cookie into the melted chocolate, place on platter and top with holiday sprinkles.
· Transfer cookies to the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set.
· Place on platter or airtight container.