Updated: Jul 6, 2020
Lord Honey, two of my summertime favorites--watermelon and grillin' makes a yummy combination. If y'all have never tried grilled fruit, then my "Grilled Watermelon w/Tequila-Lime Sauce" is the perfect recipe to start with. And if some of y'all are into grilling your fruit, then this is a great recipe to add to your list. Trust me, either way, this sweet refreshin' bite of caramelized watermelon with a kick of tequila, zing of lime, and the sweetness and crunch of coconut cream and toasted coconut will impress at your next cookout.
w/Tequila-Coconut-Lime Sauce & Toasted Coconut
12-watermelon triangle slices (if your watermelon makes more, just increase sauce)
1-TBSP olive oil
½-cup cream of coconut
2-limes, zested and juiced
1-cup shredded coconut, toasted, (see tip)
· Preheat grill or grill pan to 400°
· Lay the watermelon slices on a sheet pan, brush each side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
· In a mixing bowl place, the tequila, cream of coconut, lime juice and zest; mix together and set a side.
· When grill is hot, place the watermelon on the grill and cook for 2 mins per side, or until there are grill marks on each side.
· Place watermelon on serving tray, drizzle with tequila-coconut sauce and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Tip: To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350°, sprinkle coconut on sheet tray and place in oven. Bake for 2 mins, remove from oven and toss the coconut; return to oven, when it gets golden brown its done, make sure to watch it closely so it doesn't burn.