Lord Honey, is it a cookie? a pie? a cake? a sandwich? an oversized Oreo? Who knows-- but no matter what y'all call it--a Whoopie Pie is sure a fun treat to make and eat! It may be the official state treat of Maine--but add a li'l bourbon and a li'l bacon--and my "Country Bling Whoopie Pies" will have y'all singin' Dixieland Delight.
Country Bling Whoopie Pies
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1 lb. bacon cubed and fried
2-cups all-purpose flour
1-tsp baking soda
½-cup cocoa powder, unsweet
1-cup butter, room temp
1-cup white sugar
½-cup hot water, 110°
½-cup butter, room temp
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
4 ½-cups powder sugar
2-3 TBSP bourbon (optional--can use milk)
--fry 1 lb. of cubed bacon and set aside
· Preheat oven to 375°, and line a baking sheet with parchment or silpat.
· In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt; whisk to combine.
· Cream butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl with stand mixer or hand mixer until light and fluffy ( if using a stand mixer, use paddle attachment )
· Add egg and vanilla to the creamed mixture .
· Pour the hot water into egg/butter mixture and mix just until combined.
--add half the flour mixture and stir to combine.
--add rest of the flour and mix just until combined.
· Using a 1 ounce cookie scoop, make 6 dough circles on baking sheet, leaving 3 inches between each.
· Bake in preheated oven for 8-12 mins--remove when you touch the top and it springs back---do not over bake.
· Remove from oven and let cool for 2 mins on pan, remove to a rack and let completely cool before filling.
· Place the butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip until smooth and creamy, this will take about 4-5 mins.
· Add vanilla and salt and combine.
· Pour half the powdered sugar in cream cheese mixture; add 1 TBSP bourbon, turn mixer on low until sugar is combined, then turn to medium and whip for 2 mins,
--add the rest of the sugar and bourbon and combine slowly and then whip on high till fluffy.
· Place filling in a zip-top bag and pipe or use a spoon to evenly spread on one half of the whoopie shells.
· Place the tops on and mash down slightly.
--Roll edges of the whoopie pie in the bacon crumbles.
--store in an airtight container.
TIP: You can use sprinkles or your favorite chopped candy or nuts in place of the bacon.