Pesto isn't just for Pizzas
This unexpected twist on a traditional bread will have you going to this recipe every time you want to impress your guests.
Pesto Cheese Pastry
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
½-cup pecans, toasted
1-1/2 cups fresh spinach
1-TBSP dried basil or 1-small bunch fresh basil
Lemon juice from ½ a lemon
1/3-cup grated parmesan cheese
½-tsp black pepper
1-tsp onion powder
¼-cup olive oil
2-sheets puff pastry
¼-cup grated parmesan cheese for garnish
· Preheat oven to 400, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
· In the food processor place the 4 ingredients and pulse till chopped.
· Add the next 6 ingredients and pulse till forms a paste.
· Lay pastry out flat on baking sheet, spread 1/2 the mix on each pastry and smooth out to leave ½ inch all the way around.
· Fold over edges onto pesto, leaving middle exposed.
· Bake for 25 mins or until golden brown.
· Remove and garnish with parmesan.
· Cut each into 4 pieces.
Tip: You can use walnuts or almonds in place of the pecans. Just make sure to always toast your nuts.