Uptown 4 Upscale Easy & Quick Appetizer
Updated: Mar 28, 2019
I'm taking you uptown for and upscale appetizer that's easy and quick. Your guest will think it took all day to make. "Asparagus Prosciutto Sticks" are a different take on eating your veggies without thinking about it. They are crunchy, sweet, tender, flavorful little treats of joy. You will even get your men folk to eat them and they will be over the moon. "It will be a Cat Fight to get the last one."
Asparagus Prosciutto Sticks
Jason Smith, FNS
Makes 24 pieces
1-Bunch Fresh Asparagus
12-Slices Prosciutto or 12-Thin Slices Black Forest Ham
1-Pack Phyllo Sheets
½-cup Butter, Melted
2-tsp Olive or Grape Seed Oil
1-TBSP Dried Basil
1-tsp Onion Powder
1-tsp Garlic Powder
1-tsp White Pepper
1-TBSP Tomato Paste
½-cup Balsamic Vinegar, for Dipping at Service
· Preheat oven to 350, Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
· Wash and trim blunt end of asparagus, place in a shallow bowl.
· Pour the oil over asparagus, sprinkle the onion, garlic, and white pepper over, toss to coat.
· Slice each piece of prosciutto or ham in half, length wise.
· In a small bowl whisk together butter, tomato paste and basil.
· Place one sheet of phyllo on a cutting board, brush with butter mix, place another sheet on top and brush again, do this till you have used 4 sheets.
· Repeat above step 3 more times, you will end up with 4 sets of phyllo.
· Cut each set of phyllo from short side to short side into six strips.
· Place one piece prosciutto on each strip of dough.
· Start with the pointed in of asparagus and roll the dough/prosciutto strips around each piece of asparagus, Like a barber pole.
· Place on baking sheet, brush each with rest of butter mix.
· Bake for 15 mins.
· Remove and place on serving tray.
· Serve with balsamic vinegar.
Tip: When trimming asparagus hold tip end in one hand and blunt end in the other, bending it away from you it will break, and where it breaks from that point to the tip is the tender edible part.