A Flip on Traditional Dessert!!!
Lord Honey, peaches baked in a warm crust--no matter how you slice it or flip it--it's just plain ol' sweet goodness on a plate. My "Just Peachy Flip-Flop Pie" takes inspiration from traditional pie, cobbler and upside down cake recipes, and gives 'em a li'l flip with my "Country Bling" twist. Just try to open your eyes after the first bite, so y'all can see each spoonful of peach perfection.
Just Peachy Flip-Flop Pie
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
½-cup butter, room temp
½-cup brown sugar
12-14 maraschino cherries
2-cans peaches, drained, reserve juice
4-TBSP butter, room temp
1/3-cup white sugar
½-cup corn meal
1-cup all-purpose flour
1 ½-tsp baking powder
¼-cup reserves peach juice
2-cups powder sugar
2-TBSP of reserved peach juice
· Preheat oven to 375°, grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet or a 10 inch baking pan.
· In a medium mixing bowl mix together the first layer and spread the mixture in the bottom of your skillet.
· Dot the sugar mix with maraschino cherries.
· In the same mixing bowl place the peaches and chop up.
· Spread the chopped peaches over the sugar layer.
· For the 3rd layer place the butter and sugar in the same mixing bowl and cream together.
· Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
· Add the flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt, milk and peach juice, stir to combine.
· Dollop the dough over peach layer and smooth out.
· Place in oven and bake for 30-40 mins or until edges are brown.
· Remove from oven and let set for 5 mins.
· Place a serving plate on top of skillet and invert, to turn the pie out.
· Allow the pie to cool for at least 30 minutes, meanwhile make the glaze by placing all the ingredients in a bowl and whipping until combined.
· Drizzle the glaze over the cooled pie, cut and serve--you can add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.
Tip: This can be made with any type of canned fruit.