Lord Honey, there ain't nothin' that says comfort to kids and adults ever'where, like a big ol' helpin' of Mac & Cheese. It's one of those dishes that can be a meal all by itself, or the perfect side for a simple dinner or Holiday spread. My "Creamy-Crunch Mac & Cheese" will give y'all the perfect creamy bite of this all-time favorite--with the bonus of a buttery, crunchy finish.
Creamy-Crunch Mac & Cheese
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
2-cups elbow macaroni, cooked according to box, drained
2 ½-TBSP flour
1 ¼-tsp salt
1-tsp ground black pepper
1 ½-cup milk
½-pound block velveeta style cheese, cut into cubes
2-cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
1-TBSP prepared mustard
1-tsp onion powder
2-cups crushed any type of crackers
3-TBSP butter, melted
½-tsp garlic powder
1-tsp dried parsley (optional)
· Preheat oven to 350°, spray or butter a 9x13 baking dish.
· In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, place the butter and melt, add the flour, salt and pepper, whisk together and cook until medium brown.
· Add milk and eggs; whisk together.
· Add the 2 types of cheese, mustard and onion powder, stir to combine until cheese is melted.
· Place the cooked pasta in baking dish and pour the cheese mixture over the pasta, toss to combine and coat.
· In a small bowl place the crackers, butter, garlic, and parsley toss to combined, sprinkle over top of pasta.
· Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 mins, uncover and bake for an additional 10 mins or until just starts to brown.
Tip: Don’t have crackers for topping, you can use bread crumbs or crushed pretzels.