Lord Honey, don't be fooled by the word cake--this recipe for my "Southern Strawberry Shortcake" starts with my "Southern Skillet Biscuit" recipe--that's right--the best shortcakes are really biscuits. Y'all will be believers in the power of the biscuit when you wrap your tastebuds around this sweet & savory Southern favorite.
Southern Strawberry ShortCake
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-recipe of "Southern Skillet Biscuits" (southerncountrybling.com)
1-quart strawberries, sliced
1-3 ounce pkg strawberry gelatin
2-cups whipped cream, slightly sweetended
· In a mixing bowl place the strawberries, sugar and vanilla stir to combine, add the gelatin and stir till combined, let set for 15-20 mins.
· Cut the biscuits in half, leaving a top and bottom, place the bottoms on a serving platter or stand.
· Spoon the strawberries over bottoms, making sure to divide evenly.
· Spoon a dollop of whipped cream on strawberries.
· Place the biscuit tops on and dollop each top with whipped cream.
· Garnish with fresh mint leaves or colored sanding sugar, or a piece of strawberry.
TIP: This can be made with any fruit, paired with your favorite gelatin.