Ain't no samich like the one I got!!!
Updated: Mar 25
Lord Honey, y'all won't be able to put this "Blinged BLT" down long enough to chew. I'm tellin' ya, it's gonna blow your tastebuds. I can't promise you'll ever look at a normal BLT the same again.
Fried Green Mater & Sugar-Glazed Bacon Samich
W/ Lemon Aoli
1-pack of whole grain buns
3-medium green maters, washed and sliced 1 inch thick
2-tsp black pepper
¼-tsp garlic powder
1-cup white or yellow corn meal
1-cup white or yellow grits
1-pound sliced bacon
½-cup brown sugar
½-tsp ground cayenne pepper
Oil for frying
Zest from ½ lemon
1-tsp smoked paprika
½-head romaine lettuce, shredded
· Lay mater slices flat on a paper towel covered baking sheet.
· Mix the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic together, sprinkle over mater slices, flip and repeat.
· Let stand for 15-20 mins.
· On a foil lined baking sheet lay the bacon in a single layers, sprinkle the brown sugar and cayenne evenly over bacon.
· Place in oven, set temp to 350°F, bake for 20-25 mins.
· Pour about 1 inch of oil in frying pan and heat over medium heat.
· Place the corn meal and grits in a shallow dish, stir to combine.
· Press mater slices into the dry breading and flip to repeat.
· Place 5-6 slices of maters in oil and fry for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
· Remove to a paper towel lined baking sheet, repeat until all maters are fried.
· Whisk together mayo, lemon zest and paprika.
· Lay 4 to 6 bottoms of bun on a platter.
· Place 2 slices of fried maters on each followed by 2-3 slices bacon, then a small amount of lettuce.
· Spread the lemon aoli on the bottom side of the top buns and put on each mater bacon stack.
Tip: You can experiment with your favorite mayo combinations.