Lord Honey, like a lot of y'all--pecan pie is my favorite when it comes to holiday pies. Well, let me tell y'all, I've put a twist on this traditional favorite that will have y'all rethinkin' your top pie pick. That's right, just go ahead and write my "Bacon & Bourbon Pecan Pie" in the new #1 spot.
Bacon & Bourbon Pecan Pie
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
6-strips bacon, diced
1 ½-cups pecans, whole or chopped
1-cup light corn syrup
½-cup white sugar
½-cup brown sugar
3-TBSP butter melted
Pinch of salt
1-pie crust, unbaked
· Preheat oven to 350°.
· In a skillet, over medium heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Add the pecans and stir for a few mins, this allows the pecans to toast. Remove and let cool.
· In a mixing bowl, place the syrup, white and brown sugars and stir, add the butter, eggs, vanilla, bourbon and salt, stir to combine.
· Stir in the bacon pecan mixture.
· Pour into prepared pie shell, place on baking sheet and cover with a piece of foil.
· Bake for 35 mins, remove foil and bake for another 25-30 mins or until there is still a slight jiggle in the middle.
· Remove pie and let cool to room temperature, slice and enjoy or wrap and store in fridge until later.
· This is great served with bourbon ice cream, or with bourbon whipped cream.
Tip: Make sure to always let your pie dough rest In fridge until ready to use.