Lord Honey, bacon and taters are a match made in hog heaven. Add a spicy cornmeal breadin' and a tasty dippin' sauce and you've got the recipe for a spud-e-licious treat or in other words, the recipe for my "Bacon-Wrapped Tater Sticks"
Bacon Wrapped Tater Sticks w/Cornmeal Breadin'
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
4-medium potatoes, washed
16-slices bacon, cut in half
½-cup yellow cornmeal
¼-tsp cayenne pepper
1-tsp ground black pepper
1-tsp onion powder
½-tsp ground black pepper
½-tsp garlic powder
· Preheat oven to 400°, spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
· Slice each potato in half, then slice each half into 4 sticks, you should end up with 32 potato sticks.
· In a shallow bowl, place the cornmeal, cayenne, black pepper and onion powder; mix until combined.
· Wrap each potato stick with a piece of bacon; press each side of the bacon-wrapped potato into the cornmeal, place on the baking sheet.
· Once all potatoes are wrapped, breaded and on the baking sheet, place them in the oven and bake for 30 mins, at which time, take remove from the oven and turn the potato sticks; return to the oven and continue to bake for another 15-20 mins, or until potatoes are tender and bacon is brown and crispy.
· When done, remove from the oven and place on a serving tray.
· Place the ingredients for the dipping sauce into a small bowl and stir together.
Tip: These can be made with sweet potatoes as well.