Lord Honey, y'all might think of bread puddin' as bein' a sweet after-dinner treat, otherwise known as dessert. Well I've got a little switch-up for ya--How about bread puddin' for the first meal of the day--That's right--Breakfast. My "Hearty Breakfast Bread Puddin" recipe is the perfect way to provide a one-pot meal with all the sweet and savory flavors of a traditional breakfast.
Hearty Breakfast Bread Puddin’
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-pound breakfast sausage
2-apples, any variety, cored and cubed (you can peel if desired)
½-jalapeno, seeded removed and diced (optional)
½-tsp ground ginger (optional)
2-cups milk or half&half
2-TBSP maple syrup
10-cups any day old bread, cubed
1-cup maple syrup
Zest from half orange
2-TBSP bourbon (optional)
½-cup powder sugar, for garnish
· Preheat oven to 375°.
· In a Dutch oven or similar pot place the sausage and brown and scramble over medium heat.
· Once the sausage is cooked add the apples, jalapeno and ginger, stir and cook for 5 mins.
· Turn heat off and add the butter, stir until melted, pour in the milk, eggs and syrup stir to combine.
· Add the bread and toss until well combined and mixed up.
· Place in oven and bake for 35-45 mins or until it still jiggles slightly and medium brown.
· To make the sauce place the ingredients into a sauce pan and cook on low until butter is melted.
· Remove bread pudding from oven and pour sauce over, spoon servings onto plates and dust with powder sugar.
TIP: This can also be made with bacon or ham.