Updated: Apr 1, 2020
Lord Honey, How do ya make a cake "macho" enough for good ol' Dad? Well add some "stout" to it, of course! That's right--dark stout beer and chocolate--all baked up into a scrumptious, tender, melt-in-your mouth, bundt cake. And if that's not enough, Honey, we're gonna top it with----wait for this.........More beer! You heard me--but this time, I'm mixin' it with peanut butter and whippin' up a ganache to die for. This one will make Billy Goat Gruff a happy camper.
Chocolate Stout Bundt Cake
Jason Smith, FNS
Makes 1 cake
1-box chocolate fudge cake mix
2/3-cup veggie oil
4-eggs, room temp
2-tsp butter flavor or vanilla extract
1 ½-cup dark stout beer, any brand ( I use a KY bourbonbarrel aged stout)
· Preheat oven to 350, spray a 10 cup bundt pan.
· In a mixing bowl place the cake mix, eggs and oil mix till combined.
· Add the extract and beer mix just until incorporated.
· Pour into prepared pan.
· Bake for 30-35 mins.
· Remove and let cool for 10-15 mins, then invert onto serving stand and let cool completely.
· Meanwhile make ganche.
10 ounces peanut butter chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips
½-cup heavy whipping cream
3-TBSP dark stout beer
Peanut butter cups for garnish
· Place the chips in a heat proof bowl, set aside.
· In a small sauce pan add the cream and beer, bring to a gentle boil.
· Remove from heat and pour over chips, let stand for 3-5 mins, then stir till all chips are melted.
· Let stand until cools, this takes about 20 mins, or set in fridge for 8 mins.
· Pour over cake and serve. Garnish with peanut butter cups, cut in half.
Tip: If you don’t like beer you can use bourbon or cola in both recipes.