CB Grits 2 Die For!!!
Updated: Mar 5, 2019
Lord Honey, When us southerners think of a dish that's a true comfort food--this one ranks right up there with chicken n' dumplins.
I can remember the first time I ate grits, I was a small child at the breakfast table and those sweet, creamy, buttery grits was starin' up at me. From the first bite I was in love. We had them often at breakfast, and the older I got, I found out they wasn't just for breakfast. You can eat great grit dishes at every meal--and it doesn't get any more southern or heart-warmin' than a bowl of succulent shrimp n' grits.
So today I give you my "CB Shrimp & Grits." They will make "ya wanna sing and dance like a calf in the pasture."
CB Shrimp & Grits
Jason Smith, FNS
2-cups chicken or veggie stock
½-cup half & half
¾-cup yellow or white grits, not quick cook
½-tsp black pepper
1-tsp garlic powder
½-tsp onion powder
1-cup smoked gouda or white cheddar, shredded
2-cups mushrooms, chopped
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
3-tsp seafood seasoning
2-TBSP bacon grease
½-cup onion, minced
1-clove garlic, minced
Juice form 1/2 lemon
· In a stock pot place the first 9 ingredients, and stir, bring to boil over medium heat, turn to low and cook until thick, stir often to keep from sticking.
· When grits are thick add the cheese and mix in.
· In a bowl place the shrimp and add the seafood seasoning and stir to coat.
· Over medium heat place a skillet and heat the butter and bacon grease.
· Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic and cook until onions are soft, add the shrimp and cook for 3 mins, add lemon juice and stir for 1 more minute.
· Ladle grits into 4 bowls, divide the shrimp mushroom mix between the bowls and spoon the sauce over each.
Tip: If you don’t like shrimp just leave them out.