Lord Honey, you just can't beat a homemade onion ring. My "Cheesy Stuffed Onion Rings" are just the right bite as an appetizer or with any meal--from a simple cheeseburger, a juicy steak or even a big slice of meatloaf. Try 'em out and let me know whatcha think.
Cheesy Stuffed Onion Rings
Jason Smith, FNS
16 ounces cream cheese, room temp
2-cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
1-TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2-tsp onion powder
1-tsp ground black pepper
1-jalapeno, minced fine
Oil for frying
¼-cup minced white onion (I used the smallest rings from onion above)
¼-cup minced red bell pepper
1-tsp garlic powder
1-tsp dried dill
½-tsp dried oregano
Salt & pepper to taste
1-cup sour cream
· Slice each onion into 3 thick round slices, separate the rings, save the very small rings for sauce.
· In a mixing bowl place, the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, spices and jalapeno; mix together.
· Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lay out the biggest rings, fit the smaller rings into the larger rings, leaving a ½-inch opening between the.
· Stuff the cream cheese mix in between the gap, making sure its smooth.
· Once all rings are stuffed, place in freezer for 4 hours or overnight.
· When ready to fry, place about 3 inches of oil into a heavy pot or Dutch oven; turn to medium heat, bring temp to 350°. Use a kitchen thermometer to do this.
· Place the cornmeal in a shallow bowl.
· In another bowl, place the eggs and water and beat very well.
·Dip the stuffed onion rings in the egg mixture, then roll the rings in the cornmeal; repeat the egg dip and the cornmeal coating; place back on the tray; repeat until all rings are coated.
-- Place 3-4 onion rings in hot oil; fry until golden crispy. This will take about 2-3 mins per side.
· To make the dipping sauce, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Tip: You can do this with any type and color onion.