Updated: Mar 28, 2019
Coconut is one of mine and moms favorite flavors in the world. Coconut is so versatile you can use it in savory and sweet applications. But today I bring you the sweet side of life of the coconut with "Southern Coconut Bundt Cake". Moist, tender, melt in your mouth, sweet, salty, coconut and oh so satisfying Now don't turn ya nose up just cause its coconut, I know a lot of people that like the flavor but don't like the texture of coconut. Its simple you don't have to use the shredded coconut in this cake to get the flavor, just leave the dang stuff out and follow the rest of the recipe and "Ya tongue will slap everyones brains out in the room wanting more!!!" Coconut is a year round flavor, it works great in the spring, summer, fall and winter. Ima telling ya its the thing to go to, from coconut chicken to coconut pie. You could even do a whole meal with coconut.
Southern Coconut Bundt Cake
Jason Smith, FNS
1-Yellow Box Cake Mix (Not a Sin to Use)
¼-tsp Cream of TarTar
Pinch of Salt
½-cup Oil, veggie or olive
½-cup Coconut Milk
1-tsp Coconut Extract
1/3-cup Shredded Coconut
3-cups Powder Sugar
3-TBSP Coconut Milk
2-TBSP Butter, Melted
1-TBSP Coconut Rum, (Optional)
1-cup Toasted Coconut for Garnish
· Preheat oven to 350, spray a 10 cup bundt pan.
· In a stand mixer bowl place the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt, beat till stiff peaks, remove to another bowl.
· In same mixing bowl as the egg whites was in place the egg yolks, vanilla, coconut extract, oil, water and coconut milk, with paddle attachment stir together.
· Add the dry cake mix and stir in.
· Fold in the coconut.
· Add half the egg whites and fold in by hand, then add rest of egg whites and finish folding in, make sure to use a light hand to make sure not to deflate the air in the whites.
· Pour into bundt pan and bake for 30-35 mins or until a cake tested inserted comes out clean.
· Remove and let cool for 3-5 mins, invert onto cake stand remove pan and let cool completely.
· Mean time prepare the drizzle, by placing all the drizzle ingredients in a bowl and whisk together, if not using the rum add another TBSP of coconut milk.
· Drizzle over cooled cake, Sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
Tip: It’s not a sin to use box cake mix it’s a sin to use it as intended, always add other ingredients to it to make it fresh and new. Its premeasured ingredients so why not use it.