Lord Honey, we love our cornbread so much in the South, we can't just stop at eatin' it all by itself--we like to spread it around in some interestin' ways--and one of those ways is in a tasty creation like my "Down Home Country Cornbread Salad" If y'all ain't ever had cornbread in a salad--well, y'all ain't been livin' right. Trust me, the next time y'all have a potluck--show up with this, and an empty dish is all you'll bring home.
Down Home Country Cornbread Salad
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-recipe of "Good Ol' Country Cornbread" baked and cooled
6-8 strips bacon, diced, cooked
2-TBSP bacon drippings
½-red onion, minced
1-cup tomatoes, diced
1-bell pepper any color, diced
1-can black eyed peas, black beans or pintos, drained
2-cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1-cup sour cream
1-tsp black pepper
½-jalapeno, minced ( optional )
· Cube the cooled cornbread into small to medium cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
· Add half the bacon and all the bacon drippins, toss.
· Place the onions, tomatoes, bell pepper, peas and cheese over the cornbread, toss to combine.
· Add the mayo, sour cream, black pepper and jalapenos and toss until all the cornbread is coated and everything is well mixed.
· Pour into serving bowl, sprinkle the rest of the bacon over top.
Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
TIP: You can use ranch dressing in place of the mayo and sour cream.