Lord Honey, Whatever y'all thought you knew about Bananas Foster--forget it! Trust me, if it's possible to make this traditional dessert even more decadent, I've done gone and done it. My "Country Bling Nanners Foster" is the perfect bite for any meal--breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner dessert--y'all decide and dig in.
Country Bling Nanners Foster
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
2-cups all-purpose flour
¼-cup white sugar
1-TBSP baking powder
1 ½-cup milk, any variety
½-cup butter, melted, and cooled
Bananas Foster Topping
¼-cup brown sugar, packed
¼-tsp ground nutmeg
½ -tsp vanilla
2-under-ripe bananas cut into 1/2" rounds
3--tsp banana crème liqueur (see tip @bottom of recipe)
3-TBSP bourbon (see tip)
Favorite Vanilla Ice cream
½ -cup chopped pecans—for garnish
· Preheat waffle iron, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
--preheat oven to 170°.
· In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; whisk together.
· Place the eggs and milk into a small bowl and whisk together; add the butter, vanilla and cinnamon into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
· Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until there are no lumps.
· Scoop a ½ cup of batter onto the waffle iron, close the lid and allow to cook until golden brown and crispy. Repeat until all batter is gone.
· Place the waffles on a sheet pan and place in preheated oven.
Bananas Foster Topping:
·In a medium skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt; add the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir to combine and cook for about 1 min.
· Add the sliced bananas and cook until caramelized—this should only take a couple of minutes—watch closely—turning with a light hand.
· Add the bourbon and cook for 2-3 minutes; stirring with a light hand—so the bananas remain intact—reduce heat and allow sauce to thicken.
· Remove waffles from oven; top with a scoop of ice cream; spoon banana topping over the ice cream and waffles; garnish with chopped pecans.
Tip: If you do not want to use alcohol, replace the bourbon w/apple juice and omit the banana liqueur.