Lord Honey, nothin' says country cookin' like a big ol' pot of soup beans--and a pone of cornbread--without a doubt, it's the official meal of Appalachia. Well what happens when ya combine all the ingredients of this country-time favorite into one dish--I'll tell y'all what--my "Country-Time Soup Bean Fritters" Try my Country Bling twist on this country-time staple, and y'all may just have a new country-time favorite. Do I need to say "country-time" one more time--cause I will if I have to.
Country-Time Soup Bean Fritters
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
2-cups cooked brown pinto beans (soup beans)
½-cup all-purpose flour
¼-cup chopped onion
½-tsp onion powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Oil for frying
1-cup sour cream
½ -cup tomatoes w/green chilies
½-tsp ground cumin
Good pinch salt and pepper
· In a mixing bowl, place the beans and mash them up with a fork.
· Add the flour, cornmeal and onion; stir to combine.
·Add the egg, onion powder, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
· Place enough oil in a skillet to fry the patties, about ¼ inch deep; bring to frying temp.
· Using an ice cream scoop, place 3 patties in hot oil and fry until brown on both sides.
· To make the dipping sauce, place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
Tip: This can also be made with black-eyed peas or corn.