Updated: Mar 28, 2019
Lord Honey!!! I day dream about a lot of foods and recipes, but berries is one of my favs. They are so so many things you can do with them. From cakes, pies, sauces to dumplings. So I'm always looking for the next thing to make with berries. Being it almost the end of summer I wanted to get this fabulous recipe out to y'all. I made this recipe for a great friend that loves strawberries I think even more than me, it was her birthday and I just knew she'd enjoy it. So I give y'all "Berry Dreams" from its sweet 7-min frosting to the tangy strawberries to the cloud like sponge layer and Lord Honey cant forget that white chocolate cheese cake filling. It will tantalize every taste bud ya have. It will make all the bunny rabbits envious.
Jason Smith, FNS
1-box strawberry or any flavor cake mix
2-tsp lemon juice
1-box white chocolate puddin’
1 ½-cups heavy whipping cream
8-ounces cream cheese, room temp
· Place the strawberries, honey, water and lemon juice in a kettle and cook over medium heat until the strawberries are broken down, this takes about 15-20 mins. Strain through a wire sieve and place the thickened juice in a squeeze bottle and put the pulp in a bowl.
· Preheat oven to 375, line a 13x15x1 baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray.
· In a mixing bowl place the eggs and beat on high until thick and lemon in color.
· Add the cake mix, oil, water and vanilla stir to combine.
· Spread batter into the prepared pan.
· Bake for 12-14 mins or until when touched it springs back, remove from oven let stand for 5 mins then invert onto a powder sugar dusted tea towel, roll up from short end to short end, place in fridge and let chill for at least 30 mins.
· Meanwhile make filling by placing the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and whip till fluffy, add the puddin’ and cream whip till combined.
· Remove cake roll from fridge, unroll and spread filling over entire cake, then spread the strawberry pulp over filling, reroll and place on serving platter.
· Frost with 7-min frosting, and drizzle with strawberry thickened juice.
Tip: This can be made with lemon cake and use blueberries in place of the strawberries.
Country Bling 7-Min Frosting
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
Makes 6 cups
½-tsp cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1 ½-cups white sugar
· Place sugar and water in a sauce pan and stir till dissolved, bring to a boil and cook for 5 mins.
· Put the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt in mixing bowl and beat until stiff peaks.
· With mixer on low speed stream in the boiled sugar mix, then add the vanilla and turn to high and beat for 7 mins.
· Use on desired cake.
Tip: This can also be used on pies or as cookie filling.