Lord Honey, it's everything you like about French toast--all in one big dish. There will be plenty for second servings when you make my "Berries & Cream French Toast Bake" Trust me--whoever fixes this is gonna be Momma's "pick of the litter"
Berries & Cream French Toast Bake
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-Large french bread loaf
½-cup butter, melted
¾-cup half & half
1-cup brown sugar
2- 8 ounces packs cream cheese, room temp
3-tsp lemon zest
1-pint strawberry, sliced
Favorite maple syrup
· Preheat oven to 350, spray a 9x13 baking dish.
· Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices, place half in the bottom of pan.
· In a medium mixing bowl, place the butter, cinnamon, eggs, half & half, sugar, salt and vanilla; mix together.
· In a medium mixing bowl, place the cream cheese, honey and lemon zest; mix well.
· Spread the cream cheese mixture over the first layer of bread.
· Place the strawberries and blackberries over the cream cheese layer; reserve a few of each for garnish.
· Place the remaining bread on top of the berries; pour the egg mix over the bread; let stand for 20 mins.
· Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 30-35 mins or until top is brown and there is no jiggle.
· Remove from oven and let cool about 5 mins, top with maple syrup, garnish with reserved berries.
Tip: This can be made with any type of bread and your favorite seasonal fruit.