Grilled "Minter Cheese"--Please!!
Lord Honey, we all know that Southerners love their pimento cheese--so much, in fact, that we spread it on just about anything--we even call it "caviar of the South". In my opinion, there ain't nothin' more simply Southern than a good ol' "minter cheese" sandwich--But Sweetie Child, if y'all wanna take this simple pleasure to a golden, melted treasure --try my "Southern-Best Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich" I promise it'll have tongues flappin' and eyes rollin'.
Southern-Best Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
Jason Smith, FNS
4-cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1-cup colby jack, shredded
4-ounce cream cheese, room temp
1/2- cup real mayo
½-tsp onion powder
½-tsp garlic powder
6 ounces pimento, diced
Salt & Pepper to taste
8-slices of your favorite sliced bread
2-TBSP butter, melted
¼-cup real mayo
· In a medium mixing bowl, place cheeses, mayo, and cream cheese; fold ingredients to combine.
· Add onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper; fold into cheese mixture until well combined.
· Add pimentos and fold in with a light hand--so as not to break pimentos up.
· Place in air tight container and set aside.
To Grilling Sandwich:
· Spread each side of the bread slices with mayo and set aside.
· Spread an even layer of pimento cheese mixture on 4 slices of the prepared bread; top with remaining bread slices to form 4 sandwiches.
· Heat a skillet over medium heat.
· Place 1-2 sandwiches in the heated skillet, grill each side of the sandwich until a golden brown crust is formed, and the cheese is melted.
· Repeat until all sandwiches are grilled.
Tip: Make sure you use real mayo for the grilling process to achieve the perfect crust; if you don't have real mayo--substitute real butter.