Here Chicky, Chicky !!!
Updated: Mar 28, 2019
Chicken is like the #1 chosen meat throughout the globe. But why not, it can be cooked any so many styles and recipes. I believe if we could make it into a dessert we would. I can remember growing up, we ate a lot of chicken. We'd have it for breakfast lunch and dinner. There ain't nothing like a good piece of fried chicken with biscuit, gravy and fried corn for breakfast. Just typing this my mouth is watering. Well guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow. You can find chicken and waffles in so many restaurants now. But now that's enough about fried chicken, lets talk about another way to make succulent juicy and belly filling chicken. Roasting chicken really packs flavor into the meat, caramelizes the skin and locks in all the flavors.
" Roasted Chicken with Winter Root Veg" is a must have recipe to put into your weekly dinner round ups. Just because it has winter root veggies in it doesn't mean you can't make it in the summer, just use summer veggies. I swear to ya when you eat this, you will call all your neighbors to give them this recipe. "Hope on in that kitchen like a baby lamb in spring and get to cooking up some chicken."
Roasted Chicken with Winter Root Veg
Jason Smith, FNS
4-6 Chicken Breast
3-TBSP Fresh Thyme, minced
2-3 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
4-Cloves Garlic, minced
1-tsp White Pepper
1-tsp Onion Powder
¼-cup Olive Oil
½-cup Butter, melted
1-TBSP Lemon Juice
3-4 Parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2inch thick rounds
3-4 Carrots, washed, peel on cut into 1/2inch thick rounds
4-Medium Turnips, washed and cut into wedges
4-6 Golden Tators, washed and cut into wedges
1-Large Sweet Tator, peeled and cubed
· Preheat oven to 375, spray or butter a large baking dish.
· In a mixing bowl place minced thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, lemon zest, olive oil, butter and lemon juice, mix to combine.
· Place all the veggies in bottom of baking dish, sprinkle with a little salt.
· Place chicken breast on top of veggies.
· Pour the spice oil mix over chicken and veggies.
· Throw in the sprigs of thyme and cover with foil.
· Bake for 60 mins or until chicken is tender.
· Remove foil and bake another 20-25 mins or until chicken and veggies start to brown.
Tip: You can also place this in a slow cooker in the same layer fashion and cook on high for 3 hours, then remove chicken and brown under broiler.