Lord Honey, in Hawaii they would say Aloha Spam--but y'all are about to give a big "Ol' Howdy" to the official meat of Hawaii--that's right Spam. Let me tell y'all--people in the South have a hankerin' for Spam too--and believe it or not, this was a favorite treat that my Mom made me when I was at home. I thought we was soooo exotic when we had Mom's tropical Spam dinner. My "Country Bling Spam" is a great way to stretch a dime and feed your family a tropical tasty dish.
"Country Bling" Spam
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-can spam, 12 oz
1-yellow, red or orange bell pepper, diced
3-TBSP brown sugar
1-can 20 oz pineapple tidbits, or crushed, drained, juice reserved
½-cup maraschino cherries
· Dice spam into medium cubes.
· Preheat a skillet on medium heat, add the spam and fry till just starting to brown.
· Add the diced bell pepper and butter, cook for 4-5 mins or just until pepper starts to soften.
· Add the brown sugar and stir until brown sugar is dissolved.
· Stir in the pineapples and cook for 3-4 mins.
· Toss in the cherries and stir to combine.
· Serve while hot over cooked rice or cooked egg noodles.
TIP: If you don’t have spam you can use cooked left over pork roast or thin sliced pork chops, also great with chicken.