Lord Honey, Soda bread is one of my fave-o-rite breads to make, but you know me, I just had to kick it up a notch and give it a little reboot. In my " Soda Bread Muffins" you will just love the little gems of golden raisins and dates. They give it that little extra touch of sweetness. These are really great with any meal.
This take on an Irish classic might make ya forget the main dish--and just keep the bread comin'--after all--ya can never have too much bread.
Soda Bread Muffins
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
Makes 12 muffins
4-cups all-purpose flour
½-cup white sugar
1-tsp baking soda
1 ¾-cup buttermilk
1-cup golden raisins
½-cup dried dates, pitted and chopped
2-cups hot water
· Preheat oven to 350, spray a 12 well muffin tin.
· In a small bowl place the raisins and dates, pour the 2 cups hot water over and let set for 15 mins.
· Place the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
· Drain the water off the raisins.
· Add the buttermilk to the dry mix, stir half way.
· Stir in the raisins and bring dough together.
· Divide the dough between the 12 wells in the muffin tin.
· Bake for 45 mins or until medium brown.
Tip: You can use any dried fruit you’d like, you can even soak it in Irish whiskey.