Updated: Mar 28, 2019
Beets are the most under rated veggie out there on the market, I think. They are so tasty and good for ya, their packed with vitamins and minerals. Most people think it takes a magic wand to cook them. Well I am here to show you its not as hard as you think. "Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese" is so easy you'll want to make them all the time. Making a beet dish is all in the planning, plan it out and you will be successful. The earthy beet, tangy vinegar and the rich salty goat cheese combines so well.
When I was just a toddler I would help my Aunt and Uncle fix pickled beets. I can still see it when I close my eyes, the big kettles over and open fire outside full of beats cooking them so we could slip the beet skins off. Then when it came time that they were tender, my Uncle Bob would put them over in cool water so we wouldn't get burned, then it was Skinning or Peeling Time. My Aunt Mae always let me help her peel them and even eat some when no one was watching...LOL I really hope you give this recipe a go. You will enjoy it. "You will be like a possum eating sweet tators."
Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese
Jason Smith, FNS
5-Medium to Large Fresh Beets or 3- 15 ounce Cans Beets, canned, not pickled
2-TBSP Olive Oil
½-cup Honey or Agave
2-tsp Dried Thyme or 1-TBSP Fresh Thyme, minced
1-tsp Black Pepper
¼-cup Butter or Coconut Oil
3-TBSP Balsamic Vinegar
6 ounces Goat Cheese, crumbled
· Preheat oven to 350, Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it, also spray a 9x13 baking dish.
· Cut the top off of beets leaving about an inch of the top.
· Place on foil lined pan and drizzle oil over them, bring the sides of the foil up to make like a package.
· Roast in oven for 30-40 mins or until tender.
· When tender remove from oven, under running cold water peel the skin off the beets, it will slip right off.
· Slice into ½ inch slices, place in sprayed baking dish.
· Sprinkle beets with thyme and black pepper.
· Drizzle the honey over the beets.
· Dot the butter around on the top.
· Bake for 30 mins.
· Remove and drizzle the balsamic vinegar over top, stir lightly to coat all pieces.
· Return to oven and bake for 20 mins.
· Place on serving platter and sprinkle the goat cheese all over the top.
Tip: When working with beets always make sure to cut or peel them under running water, this will keep your hands from turning a beautiful shade of ruby red.
These are awesome next day in a salad as well.