Let's get Saucy!!
Updated: Mar 25
Lord Honey, here's a trick to make fixin' a delicious meal a li'l easier--my "Crazy Starter Sauce." I call it Crazy--'cause it's crazy how many different meals y'all can plan and make with this one simple recipe--Sloppy Joes, Chili, Pasta dishes, Hotdog Sauce, Taco dishes, Goulash--the list is endless. Keep some in the freezer so y'all have a head-start for a quick and tasty, saucy meal.
Crazy Starter Sauce
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
Makes about 4 cups,
1-pound breakfast sausage or ground beef (or 1/2 pound of each)
1-medium onion, minced
1-10.75 ounce can tomato soup
2-cups tomato ketchup
2-tsp garlic powder
1-TBSP onion powder
1-TBSP dried basil
1-TBSP dried oregano
1-tsp chili powder
1-tsp white sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
· Place the meat in a skillet over medium heat, brown and scramble.
· Add the onion and cook until starts to soften.
· Pour the soup, ketchup and water in meat and mix to combine.
· Add the seasonings and herbs and stir to combine, let cook for about 15-20 mins on low.
· Ready to serve or be used as the base in a variety of dishes.
TIPS: Make ahead and freeze and use as the base sauce in your favorite dishes: Sloppy Joes, pasta dishes, hot dog sauce, chili, taco dishes, goulash--use your imagination.