Lord Honey, a good key lime pie is my all time fave for a summer dessert. But, I know we all don't always have time durin' the busy summer, so I've come up with a quick and easy recipe with the same refreshin' lime taste and creamy bite. Kick back on the porch and enjoy my "Lime Cooler Pie".
Lime Cooler Pie
Jason Smith, FNS
1 ½--pks graham crackers, crushed; reserve ¼ cup for garnish
6-TBSP butter, melted
½--tsp almond extract
2-- 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese, room temp
1--14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
zest from 2 fresh limes
juice from 3 limes
pinch of salt
1--c heavy whipping cream
½--c powdered sugar
· Place the graham crackers into a zip-top bags and crush with rolling pin to a very fine texture.
· Place the crushed graham crackers into a 9 in pie plate.
· Mix the almond extract and melted butter together and drizzle over graham crackers; stir until all graham crackers are saturated with butter mixture.
· Spread crackers out into an even layer in the pie plate and press them down until they are packed in firmly.
· Filling: In a mixing bowl, place the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and mix until smooth.
· Mix in the lime juice, lime zest and pinch of salt.
· Pour mixture into crust and spread evenly.
· Topping: Take a jar with a screw-top lid and place the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla; shake until the mixture is very thick.
· Once topping is thick, spoon into dollops around the edge of the pie.
· Sprinkle reserved graham cracker crumbs over the dollops of whipped cream.
· Can eat immediately, but best if refrigerated for at least 2 hours—up to overnight.
Tip: You may use a mixer to whip the cream. You may use substitute citrus in place of the lime.