Love me some Shrimp & Orzo!!
Updated: Mar 25, 2020
Lord Honey, heart shaped shrimp is made for love--"Orzo" I'm told. Sorry (not sorry) for the obvious pun--but seriously, y'all are in for a treat with the romantic presentation of my "Shrimp, Love and Orzo" recipe--honey, trust me--it's not just purty--it's delicious.
Shrimp, Love, and Orzo
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-cup orzo, cooked according to box
2-TBPS fresh dill, minced
1-tsp dried tarragon
Zest from half lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1-pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1-tsp onion powder
1-tsp garlic powder
¼-tsp cayenne pepper
1-tsp paprika, smoked or sweet
Salt and pepper
2-small or 1-medium zucchini, halved and sliced
1-red bell pepper, sliced into strips
4-TBSP butter, divided
Juice from 1 lemon
½-cup chicken broth or stock
· Place the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl stir to combine.
· To make the shrimp hearts, lay the shrimp in heart shapes and run half a tooth pick through the thick part of the shrimp.
· Place shrimp hearts on a plate and sprinkle each side with seasoning.
· Place cooked hot orzo in bowl and stir in the herbs, zest, salt and pepper.
· Spoon orzo onto a large serving platter.
· In a large skillet over medium high heat place half the butter and melt, add the shrimp and cook 2 mins per side, remove and place on top of orzo.
· Add the veggies to skillet, and saute for 5 mins--tossing frequently, add the rest of the butter, chicken broth, lemon juice and cook for 3-4 mins--until liquid begins to thicken.
· Spoon veggies around edge of orzo and pour sauce over the shrimp and orzo.
Tip: This recipe is great with thin sliced chicken as well.