Make Room for 'Shrooms
Lord Honey, whether you need an appetizer before the big meal or a savory side dish on the dinner table--don't be afraid to stray from the traditional, and make some room for my "Rustic 'Shroom Tart."
Rustic 'Shroom Tart
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-tube cresent roll sheet
6-strips bacon, chopped
4-cups mushrooms, chopped
½-cup onion, minced
1-cup green bell pepper, chopped
1-small bag fresh spinach
2-tsp Italian seasoning
1-tsp onion powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
4 ounce cream cheese, room temp
1-cup Colby jack cheese, shredded
¼-cup fresh parsley, minced, for garnish
½-cup dried cranberries, for garnish
1-cup balsamic vinegar
1/8- cup bourbon
· Preheat oven to 375°, spray a baking sheet.
· In a large skillet over medium heat, place the bacon and cook until crispy, add the butter and melt.
· Add the mushrooms, onions and peppers, cook for 15 mins or until onions and peppers are tender.
· Sprinkle Italian seasoning, onion powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
· Stir to combine, add the spinach and cook until spinach starts to wilt.
· Add the cream cheese and stir till melted.
· Remove mixture from stove.
· Place the cresent dough on baking sheet, sprinkle the Colby jack cheese over dough, leaving about an inch on all side.
· Spoon the mushroom mix over cheese.
· Fold all sides up onto filling, leaving middle uncovered, see picture.
· Place in oven and bake for 25 mins or until golden brown.
· Meanwhile make the glaze by adding all ingredients to a sauce pan over medium heat and cook until vinegar starts to thicken.
· Remove tart when baked and place on serving tray and drizzle with glaze, garnish with chopped fresh parsley and dried cranberries.
Tip: Make sure when making the glaze to not over reduce or you’ll have vinegar taffy.