Memorial Day Traditions !!!!!
Updated: Apr 30, 2019
Memorial Day is the perfect time to enjoy my "Granny's Southern Tator Salad" with your family and friends. This recipe brings back special memories of my grandmother--like a true southern lady, she knew how to make a mean tator salad--and this one really takes ya back. Believe it or not, mayo wasn't always used--it was hard to find and even harder to keep. This is my Country Bling take on my granny's cooked-dressing tator salad. "It'll make ya dance a jig while singin' Dixie"
Granny's Southern Tator Salad
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
2 Pounds Small Red or Yellow Tators, washed and cut in half
6-8 Green Onions, minced, about ¼ cup reserved for garnish
1 ½-TBSP All Purpose Flour
2-TBSP White Sugar
1-tsp Onion Powder
¼-tsp Garlic Powder
1-tsp Dried Thyme
¼-tsp White Pepper
Salt to Taste
2-tsp Yellow Prepared Mustard
1-TBSP Bacon Grease
2-TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
6-Strips Bacon, cooked and crumbled, grease reserved
· Place tators in a large pot, add salt and cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, drain and place in bowl.
· Meanwhile place the flour, sugar, onion, garlic, thyme and pepper in a sauce pan, whisk together.
· Add the vinegar, milk and egg yolks, whisk to combine.
· Cook over medium heat, half way through add the butter and bacon grease, continue cooking until thick. Stir the whole time so don’t stick.
· Put the green onions in the tators and pour the dressing over and stir lightly to coat.
· Pour into serving dish, sprinkle the rest of the green onion and bacon on top.
· Serve warm or refridge for 2 hours or overnight.
Tip: If you don’t want to use the bacon grease sub with butter. This is also a great dressing for Macaroni salad.