Lord Honey, I can't wait for y'all to try this special dish from the South---South of the Border that is. Whether y'all are celebratin' Cinco De Mayo, or just have a hankerin' for Mexican cuisine--my "Lasagna Mexicana" will have y'all sayin' "Vaya!"--or "Wow!" either one works for me!
Jason Smith, FNS
6-medium or large flour tortillas
4-TBSP butter, room temp
1-(16oz) can refried beans
2-cups your favorite salsa
1/2-pound ground beef (80/20)
Salt and Pepper to taste
½-medium onion, diced
1-TBSP chili powder
2-tsp onion powder
½-tsp garlic powder
Small pinch of red pepper flakes
½ -cup water
3-cups cheddar cheese, grated
Sliced Green Onions
· Preheat oven to 375°, butter or spray a 8x8 baking pan.
· Butter both sides of the tortilla shells; place a skillet over medium high heat, place one tortilla at a time into the hot skillet; brown on both sides and set aside.
· In the same skillet, brown and crumble the beef, add the onion half-way through cooking the beef to done; add all the spices and water, stir and let cook for 2 mins; remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of salsa.
· In a mixing bowl, place the refried beans and ½ cup salsa and mix together.
--Cut the tortillas in half.
· Place 4 halves of tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish, with the straight cut edges towards each side of the pan.
· Spread the refried beans on top of the tortillas; sprinkle one cup of cheese over beans; place 4 more tortilla halves over the top of the cheese; spread meat mixture over tortillas.
--Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over the meat; place remaining 4 tortilla halves over cheese and spread the rest of the salsa over the top; sprinkle the remaining cheese over the salsa.
· Bake for 25-30 mins, remove from oven let cool a few minutes, then top with favorite toppings.
Tip: This can be made with chicken or ground turkey.
Country Bling Taco Seasoning
Jason Smith, FNS
1/4-cup chili powder
4-tsp onion powder
1-tsp garlic powder
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Place in a jar with a lid and mix together; store and use as needed.