Updated: Mar 5, 2019
Lord Honey, I'm combining my love for National Cherry Pie Day & St. Paddy's Day with this lush cherry confection. Any Irishman worth his four-leaf clover loves cherries--so why not make some "Slap Yo Cherry Pie Dip" to enjoy and share as part of your
St. Patrick's Day festivities.
From its tart cherries, to the dreamy, cream cheese, to the crunchy almond-covered pie dough chips--it may just become a year-round treat.
Slap Yo Cherry Pie Dip
Jason Smith, FNS
1-21 ounce can cherry pie filling
1-TBSP orange zest
2-8 ounce packs cream cheese, room temp
½-cup glace’ or candied cherries, diced
½-cup sliced almonds, chopped
2-sheets pie dough
1-egg, for egg wash
¼-cup raw sugar
· Preheat oven to 350.
· Place the cream cheese, orange zest and vanilla in a mixing bowl and mix together.
· Mix in half of the cherry pie filling and half the glace’ cherries until well blended.
· Spoon into serving dish.
· Spread rest of pie filling over top of dip and sprinkle the rest of the glace’ cherries over top.
· Lay the two sheets of dough on a piece of wax paper, mix egg and 1-tsp water together and brush dough real good, sprinkle the nut mix over top, cut into strips about 2 inch wide and then cut each strip into 4 inch long, place on greased baking sheet and bake until golden brown about 10-12 mins.
· Place pie dough crackers around dip on serving tray.
Tip: You can sub the cherry pie filling for any flavor pie filling.