National Chocolate Cake Day!!!! Oh Yeah Children, Have 2 Slices
Updated: Mar 28, 2019
Ifin you have Chocolate, Cream Cheese and Bourbon, What do you get???? That's right you get my take on National Chocolate Cake day with "Chocolate Waffle Cake, with Cream Cheese Icing and Bourbon Caramel." Oh shut y'alls mouth you are getting drool on yourself, and your computers....LOL This is a cake recipe that's near and dear to my heart. My mom used to make this cake all the time. Its a old old fashion cake, its made with Mayo and no eggs or oil. Say what!!!! Yes! Its a keeper. My dad, uncle and all that ate it would ask for it all the time. So on this National Chocolate Cake Day I decided to give it a new up date. I hope you try it and fall head over heels in love. This recipe would also be great for game day, to wow your party guest.
Chocolate Waffle Cake
Jason Smith, FNS
Ingredients for Cake:
3-cups All Purpose Flour
1-cup White Sugar
½-cup Brown Sugar, packed
½-cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 ¼- tsp Baking Powder
1 ½- tsp Baking Soda
1 ½-cups Real Mayo
1 ½-cups Hot Water
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Icing:
1-package Cream Cheese, room temp
¾-cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3-cups Powder Sugar
1-cup Chopped Pecans, for Garnish
Ingredients for Bourbon Caramel:
½-cup Real Butter
1-cup Brown Sugar, packed
Pinch of Salt
¼-cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Directions for Cake:
· Preheat Waffle maker.
· In a mixing bowl put flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisk to combine.
· Add mayo, water and vanilla and whip till combined.
· Pour 2 heaping TBSP of batter into each well of waffle iron, close lid and cook for 4-5mins.
· Repeat until all batter is gone, let cool while making caramel and icing.
Direction for Icing:
· In a mixing bowl put the cream cheese and whipping cream, start on low speed and combine then turn to high and beat the fire out of it.
· Add the sugar and vanilla and whip to combine.
Direction for Caramel:
· In a medium sauce pan put the butter, brown sugar and salt, bring to a boil, stirring often so it don’t stick.
· When boiling add the bourbon and cream, it will splatter a little so be careful, stir to combine, cook for another 2 mins.
· Remove and add the vanilla and stir.
· Pour into a glass jar and let cool.
· Keep in fridge for 2 weeks.
Direction for putting together:
Place 4 waffles on a cake stand and spread the cream cheese icing on top, repeat with waffles and cream cheese icing till you end up with icing on the top layer.
Drizzle the caramel sauce on top, sprinkle chopped pecans on top to finish off.