New Year Lucky Macaroons!!!
Lord Honey, We all know what to eat when the New Year starts, Black eyed peas and cooked cabbage, but did you know it is also good luck to eat coconut? Well today I give you my "Jeweled Coconut Macaroons". Hope yall enjoy!!
Jeweled Coconut Macaroons
Jason Smith, FNS
Makes about 1 ½ dozen
1 1/3- cup sweetened coconut, shredded
1/3-cup light brown sugar
2 ½-TBSP all-purpose flour
½-cup golden raisins
¼-cup candied orange peel
¼-cup dried currents (if can’t find use chopped figs)
2-large egg whites
· Preheat oven to 325°, line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
· In a medium mixing bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt.
· Add the vanilla dried fruit and toss.
· Mix in the egg whites, making sure to combine well.
· Using a cookie scoop place rounds of dough 2 inches apart on prepared pan and bake for 18-20 mins or until you see the light brown TUTU as I call it around the edge.
· Remove and place on a cooling rack and repeat until all macaroons are baked.
Tip: If you don’t want to use the fruit in this recipe, just leave it out.