Updated: Aug 11, 2021
Lord Honey, ever'one needs to pinch a penny ever' now and then. My dear Aunt Jean used to make a yummy casserole that she said helped her "pinch her pennies" and boy was it "slap the table good!" Well, I've made my own version of that I call "Pinch-A-Penny Casserole" to honor Aunt Jean and help y'all stretch your food budget just a bit.
Jason Smith, FNS
1-pound ground beef
2-tsp garlic powder
1-can cream of mushroom soup
1-cup elbow macaroni, dry
1-can (15oz) diced tomatoes
1-can (15oz) mixed veggies, undrained
2-cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
· Preheat oven to 350° spray a 9x13 baking dish.
· Place the beef in a large skillet, scramble and cook, then drain any grease.
· Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, soup mix, macaroni, tomatoes and veggies; stir to combine.
· Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and cover with foil.
· Bake for 30 mins, remove cover and sprinkle cheese over the top, return to oven and bake, just until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Tip: In place of the beef you can use ground turkey or ground pork.