Lord Honey, let me introduce y'all to sweet, buttery, tender, Southern perfection--and the most versatile and delicious base for desserts unlimited--my "Simply Perfect Pound Cake"
Simply Perfect Pound Cake
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
Makes Two, 8 inch cakes
8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1-cup butter, room temp
¼-cup sweetened condense milk or white sugar
1-tsp almond extract (optional)
1-box of white or yellow cake mix
· Preheat oven to 350°, butter or spray two 8 inch round cake pans.
· In a mixing bowl place the cream cheese, butter and milk, whip on low until combined; turn on high and whip until light and fluffy, this will take about 15 mins.
· Add the vanilla and almond extract and whip until combined, scraping down sides regularly.
· While mixer is on low add the eggs one at a time, until each is mixed in.
· Scrape down sides and add the cake mix; mix until well combined.
· Divide the batter between the two prepared cake pans.
· Smooth out to make sure of even distribution.
· Place in oven and bake for 40-45 mins.
· Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto a tray and then turn top side up and let cool completely, at this point you can frost the cakes or use in trifles or just enjoy by themselves.
Tip: Variations: for coconut pound cake, add ½-cup shredded coconut to batter; for lemon pound cake, add zest from one lemon and 1-TBSP lemon juice; for chocolate pound cake, use your favorite chocolate cake mix.