Updated: Mar 28, 2019
When you have worked hard or feeling down and need a little treat.
Then Honey you can indulge with this "Apple Treat". A treat like this comes with very little guilt as it is low carb and very filling. You can even have this for breakfast to start your day out on the right foot or left foot, which everyone you wish. Most peeps thinks that Healthy eating is no flavor, no texture and not very fun, well that ain't the case with this recipe. From the slightly tender juicy apples, crunchy nuts, sweet honey, earthiness of the thyme and oh baby that spice. Jump right into it today, don't wait.
Jason Smith, FNS
3-Granny Smith or Gala Apples, cored
1/3-cup Walnuts, chopped
1/3-cup Sliced Almonds, chopped
¼-cup Sunflower Seeds
1/3-cup Puffed Rice Cereal, rough chopped
1/3-cup Quick Cook Oatmeal
1/3-cup Honey or Molasses
1-tsp Ground Cinnamon
½-tsp Ground Cardamom
1-tsp Fresh Thyme, minced
2-TBSP Fresh Orange Juice
3-TBSP Butter or Coconut Oil, melted
Pinch of Salt
Zest from One Small Orange
· Preheat oven to 350, spray or butter a 8x8 baking dish.
· Place cored apples in center of pan with holes up.
· In a mixing bowl place nuts, sunflower seeds, puffed cereal, oats, spices and salt and stir.
· Pour butter or coconut oil over nut mix and stir.
· Add the zest, thyme and juice and stir.
· Drizzle the honey or molasses over and stir to combine.
· Fill holes of apples then place rest of filling around apples and drizzle water around apples.
· Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 mins, or until apples have turned color and tender.
Hint: Apples still will have a slight under doneness to them, Little crunchy as I say.
· Serve with whipped topping for a treat. Or have them for breakfast with some crispy bacon or tender sausage.