Lord Honey, cream cheese pound cake, sweet strawberries, fluffy frostin'--sounds to me like the ingredients of a blue-ribbon winnin' dessert. I think y'all will agree that my "Simply Divine Strawberry Cake" is a real winner.
Simply Divine Strawberry Cake
w/ 7-Minute Frostin'
Jason Smith, FNS
1-recipe for "Simply Perfect Pound Cake"
4-cups strawberries, fresh or frozen, quartered (if frozen make sure they are thawed and drained)
¾-cup white sugar
3-TBSP corn starch
3-TBSP strawberry gelatin
¾-cup plus 2-TBSP white sugar
1-TBSP light corn syrup
½-tsp cream of tartar
· Bake cake according to directions.
· To make the strawberry layer, place the sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pan and whisk together, stir in the water, over medium heat cook until thick, stirring constantly.
· Add the strawberry gelatin and whisk until dissolved, once cooled, stir in the strawberries, set aside.
"Championship 7-Minute Frosting":
·Add ¾-cup sugar, corn syrup and water into a sauce pan, stir until sugar is dissolved; bring to a boil over medium heat; once boiling, do not stir; boil for 5 mins, or until it reads 230° on a candy thermometer.
· Meanwhile, place the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt into a mixing bowl and turn mixer on high, you want to form medium peaks, this takes about 2 minutes; then add the 2-TBSP of sugar and the vanilla and whip until stiff peaks form, about another minute.
· With mixer on low, stream in the hot syrup into the stiff egg whites.
· Once all the syrup is in, turn mixer to high and beat for 7 mins, or until frosting is cooled.
· Place in a piping bag or a gallon zip-top bag.
· On a cake stand or cake plate, place the first layer of cake, Pipe dollops of the frosting right next to each other around top outer edge of cake--forming a ring.
· Spoon ¾ of the strawberry mix onto top of cake, inside the frosting ring, smooth into a even layer.
· Place the second layer of cake on top and repeat the dollop pattern, this time add an extra ring of icing inside of the dolloped ring; then spoon the rest of strawberry mix onto top of cake and smooth out.
· At this point you have all kinds of options, either touch the frosting with a kitchen torch or use fun sprinkles, or leave plain.
· Place in fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
Tip: You can make the gelatin with any flavor and any fruit.