Lord Honey, have I got a treat for y'all. Trust me when I say, this may be your new favorite side for the holidays. Actually, my "Sweet Tater & Apple Skillet" may just become your new favorite side---period. Once y'all serve it, I guarantee y'all are gonna get requests for it to be on the dinner table all year long.
Sweet Tater & Apple Skillet
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced
3-Fuji or Golden Delicious apples, peeled and sliced
½-tsp ground cinnamon
¼-tsp ground ginger
Pinch black pepper
¼ to ½ cup apple cider
2-TBSP bourbon (optional)
½-sleeve round butter crackers, coarsely crushed
· Place a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and melt. Add the sweet taters and cook until they just start to get tender.
· Add the apples and cook for approximately 2 mins, add the honey and spices, stir.
· Pour in ¼ cup cider (1/2 cup, if not using bourbon) and let cook down, if using bourbon, add it and cook for 2 mins.
· Once the cider has cooked down, sprinkle half the crackers over top and stir in, remove from heat and sprinkle rest of the crackers on top.
· Serve warm or at room temp.