Updated: Mar 28, 2019
Looking to make a great meal ? But not really sure what to do.
Well you will find a tasty meal with my "Eyetalian Stuffed Peppers."
It mashes up two of my favs from my teenage years. We always grew peppers on the farm and sold them to the local stores, but also kept a few to eat as well. Granny and mom would fix good southern stuffed peppers that we all know and love, they had hamburger, cheese and tomato of some kind in them. But now for the Italian food I was way along in years before we had a lot of Italian. Granny didn't like it to much, matter of fact she never ate pizza or spaghetti until she was in her 70's. But Honey when I took my first bite of Lasagna I thought " Oh Sweet Lawdy, Cows a Mooing" where has this been all my life. So looking at Stuffed Peppers and Italian flavors I thought,
" Great Googly Moogly " why not put them together and have two greats in one recipe. It's cheesy, meaty, spicy and oh so good. It will "Make ya eyes roll back in your head."
Eyetalian Stuffed Peppers
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
2-Peppers, any color, cut in half, seeds and stem removed
1 Pound Italian Mild Sausage
1-cup Diced White Button Mushrooms
1-small Onion, minced
4-Cloves Garlic, minced
1-15oz can Diced tomatoes
½-tsp Ground Fennel
¼-tsp Crushed Red Pepper
Salt & Pepper to taste
1-cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, divide in half
1-cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
4-Slices Provolone Cheese
· Preheat oven to 350, spray a 9x9 baking dish.
· In a medium skillet place the sausage brown and scramble.
· Add the onions and mushrooms and cook for 10 mins.
· Pour in the tomatoes and the spices, stir to combine and cook for 5 mins, remove form stove.
· Stir in half the parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste.
· Place the 4 halves of peppers in baking dish.
· Fill each half of pepper with sausage mix, spoon left over sauce around peppers.
· Bake for 30 mins.
· Remove from oven and sprinkle shredded cheese over top, place one slice of provolone over each half of pepper.
· Return to oven to melt cheese, this will take about 6-8 mins.
· Serve by itself or with pasta and garlic cheese bread.
Tip: You can also make this with ground beef or ground turkey.