Most people look at me funny when I say we are having Quinoa for dinner. "They be like what on earth is that, do we need antibiotics for it !!!!" I'm like Lord Honey, do you eat rice, then you will have no probs with Quinoa, cause it taste so close to rice, you wouldn't know it if you had your eyes closed. Try my refreshing "Roasted Veggie with Quinoa" it will be a life changer for ya. Quinoa comes in either red or white, I always use the red, I like the flavor of it a little bit better. It looks like bird seed, but when its cook it wouldn't matter if it was hog feed its goooood. There is so so many things that can be done with Quinoa, your mind will be blown away. You can turn it into breakfast, lunch, dinner even a snack. The flavor is little earthy, little sweet, has a nice bite and its packed full of protein. Sweet Children of mine, jump on the Quinoa wagon today.
Roasted Veggie with Quinoa
Jason Smith, FNS
1-cup Red Quinoa, cooked according to package
1-Medium Zucchini, cubed
1-Medium Yellow Squash, cubed
1-Small Bunch Asparagus, washed and trimmed
2-Clove Garlic, minced
1-Pint Grape Tomatoes
2-tsp Onion Powder
1-TBSP Italian Seasoning
2-TBSP Olive or Grape Seed Oil
1 ½-cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper to taste
· Preheat oven to 350, spray a baking sheet and set aside.
· Place all the veggies and garlic in a bowl.
· Drizzle the oil over and toss.
· Sprinkle the onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
· Toss to coat, pour onto baking sheet and spread out.
· Bake for 20-25 mins or until tender.
· Remove from oven and toss with the quinoa.
· Sprinkle the cheese over top and serve.
Serve with a nice grilled pork loin, or chicken breast.
Tip: Quinoa is a super grain, its good for ya and it taste a lot like rice. Its so versatile you can do so much with it.