Lord Honey, make these ghastly, ghostly pizzas for your Halloween bash, or just fix 'em for a fun snack. To add a bit of bloody gore, dip my "Swamp Ghost Treats" into your favorite marinara sauce. This is a great recipe for the kiddys to help make.
Swamp Ghost Treats
Jason Smith, FNS southerncountrybling.com
1-sheet prepared pizza dough
12-slices 1/2inch thick fresh mozzarella
½-cup bacon, diced and cooked crispy
4-black olives, diced
¼-cup pecans, walnuts or soy nuts (optional)
2-cups packed fresh spinach leaves
2-tsp dried basil
½-tsp dried oregano
½-cup grated parmesan cheese
¼-tsp black pepper
½ - ¾ cup olive oil
Small ghost cookie cutter
2-cups of your favorite marinara sauce, for dipping
· Preheat oven to 400°, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
· Place the nuts in a small skillet over medium heat and toast, stir often, this only takes 2 mins.
· In the bowl of a food processor place the nuts, spinach, garlic, basil, oregano and parmesan cheese, pulse till a paste forms.
· Add the salt and pepper.
· With the processor running stream in ½ cup oil, it will become a thick sauce, if you want pesto thinner add more oil until desired consistency.
· On a cornmeal dusted surface, roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle, cut into 12 pieces.
· Place on prepared baking sheet.
· Spread the pesto on each dough slice.
· Sprinkle the bacon on top of the pesto.
· Bake for 8 mins.
· While baking the first round, use a ghost cookie cutter, cut the mozzarella into 12 ghost shapes. Save leftover cheese to use later.
· Place one ghost on top of each dough square.
· But the olives on the ghost cheese for the eyes.
· Bake for 15-20 mins or until crust is done and the ghost just start to melt.
Tip: Serve with your favorite marinara dipping sauce.